IEC 61508-2:2010 applies to any safety-related system, as defined by IEC 61508-1, that contains at least:
– one electrical, electronic or programmable electronic element;
– applies to all elements within an E/E/PE safety-related system;
– specifies how to refine the E/E/PE system safety requirements specification, developed in accordance with IEC 61508-1, into the E/E/PE system design requirements specification;
– specifies the requirements for activities that are to be applied during the design and manufacture of the E/E/PE safety-related systems except software, which is dealt with in IEC 61508-3.
These requirements include the application of techniques and measures that:
– are graded against the safety integrity level, for the avoidance of, and control of, faults and failures;
– specifies the information necessary for carrying out the installation, commissioning and final safety validation of the E/E/PE safety-related system;
– provides requirements for the preparation of information and procedures needed by the user for the operation and maintenance of the E/E/PE safety-related systems;
– specifies requirements to be met by the organisation carrying out any modification of the E/E/PE safety-related systems.
This second edition cancels and replaces the first edition published in 1998. This edition constitutes a technical revision. It has been subject to a thorough review and incorporates many comments received at the various revision stages. It has the status of a basic safety publication according to IEC Guide 104