IEC 61158-3-17:2007 defines in an abstract way the externally visible service provided by the Type 17 fieldbus data-link layer in terms of:
– the primitive actions and events of the service;
– the parameters associated with each primitive action and event, and the form which they take;
– and the interrelationship between these actions and events, and their valid sequences. This first edition and its companion parts of the IEC 61158-3 subseries cancel and replace IEC 61158-3:2003. This edition of this part constitutes a technical addition. This part and its companion parts for Type 17, replace also IEC/PAS 62405:2005. This edition includes the following changes:
– deletion of the former Type 6 fieldbus, and the placeholder for a Type 5 fieldbus data-link layer, for lack of market relevance;
– addition of new types of fieldbuses;
– division of this part into multiple parts numbered 3-1, 3-2,…, 3-19. This bilingual version (2013-07) corresponds to the monolingual English version, published in 2007-12.